The base of the anchor is supported on a small octagonal stone and rests against a slim conrete pole. There is a length of chain draped around the upper arms of the anchor.
The anchor was previously situated in the grounds of Drayton Manor the home of Sir Robert Peel.
This anchor was probably the naval trophy of William Peel (1824-1858), one of the sons of Sir Robert Peel (1788-1850), who served in both the Crimean War (1854-56) and the Indian Mutiny (1857-58). Since the anchor is from a Russian ship, it must have come from the earlier campaign.
|Part of work||Material||Dimensions|
|Anchor||Cast iron||280cm high x 220cm wide approx|
|Support||Concrete||280cm high approx|
PMSA recording information
|Precise location||Behind the Lodge (on Holloway Road)|
|A-Z ref||134 3C|
|Date of design||dates from mid nineteenth century|
|Year of unveiling||None|
|Commissioned by||Probably acquired by one of Peel's sons|
|Duty of care||Tamworth Borough Council|
|Listing status||Not listed|
|At risk?||Not at risk|