Full-length bronze statue of General Nott in military uniform with full-length draped mantle falling from shoulders. Right leg taut and inclined backwards. Left leg inclined forward and slightly bent at knee. Right hand on hip, left hand holding helm of a sword with its tip touching the base.
The bronze statue was cast from cannon captured at the battle of Maharajpur and was presented by the East India Company. Queen Victoria gave 200 guineas to the memorial fund. The statue occupies the site of the market cross which was dismantled when the market was resited and Nott Square created in 1846.
General Sir William Nott (1782-1845) was the son of Charles Nott, proprietor of a local inn. Nott enrolled in the Carmarthen volunteer corps and thence to the East India Company. After a distinguished military career in India and Afghanistan he retired to Carmarthen and died in January 1845.
Upraised bronze letters on front face of pedestal: NOTT / BORN 20th JANUARY, 1782 / DIED 1st JANUARY, 1845.
PMSA recording information