Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

What is the PMSA?
The PMSA aims to heighten public appreciation of Britain's public sculpture, and to contribute to its preservation, protection and promotion. It seeks to achieve this through several projects that include: the National Recording Project, the Sculpture Journal, Save our Sculpture and the Marsh Awards for Excellence in Public Sculpture, Fountains and Conservation.

What does it do?
Established in 1991, it aims to bring together individuals and organisations with a mutual interest in public sculpture and monuments, their production, preservation and history. The Association seeks to encourage public awareness of Britain's monumental heritage - past, present and future - through activities, publications and dialogue; and it campaigns for listing, preservation, protection and restoration. With the Marsh Christian Trust, we encourage new sculpture, and the restoration of historic works, by awarding the Marsh Award for Excellence in Public Sculpture.

How can I join the PMSA?
The PMSA has much to offer it members and attracts people with a variety of wide-ranging interests. Our members are private, public, individual and corporate. Some create or conserve sculpture, some are local historians, art-historians, researchers or writers, some collect or commission sculpture and others simply just love it. Whatever your particular area of interest, do join and share it with us. Click the join us tab, download the form and send it to the address indicated. We look forward to welcoming you.

To read about joining the PMSA and membership benefits visit Join us. We prefer payments by standing order - download the relevant documents and post it to the address on the form.

Can I volunteer?
We are keen to engage people who are interested in all aspects of sculpture. We need people to assist in our recording project, to create activities in areas of the UK, and to help with the organisation. Contact us to discuss what interests you.

Do you fund projects, if not can you advise on funding?
We do not grant funds for sculpture or any related projects, but we can point you to grant funding bodies.

Can you put me in contact with a conservator?
Visit the Conservation Register www.conservationregister.com/

How do I stop my sculpture being stolen?
The rise of metal theft over the last few years, due to the increase in the cost for copper and other metals, has caused major concerns across all sectors of the arts, heritage and rail transport. The PMSA is a founder member of ARCH (Alliance to Reduce Crime against Heritage) and with others is developing new ideas to ensure the safety and protection of public art.

How do I report the theft of a sculpture?

In the first instance you should contact your local Police Force and inform them of the theft. They will want to know as much as possible about the sculpture – title, location and importantly who the owner is, with this information they will be able to provide a crime reference number. The one important piece of information they require is the name of the owner. If you are the owner this is not an issue, but if you are not, try to find out who is. If the sculpture is in the public realm the Local Borough Council may be the owner or be responsible for its care. They may know who the owner is or who is responsible for it. If they are not able to help contact your local studies library or the local history societies who may be able to provide information on the history of the sculpture which may help in identifying the responsible owner or organisation. Otherwise, contact the PMSA who will search the National Record Project database.

There are certain steps you should take when reporting a crime.

1. If the crime is taking place dial 999 and ask for police attendance.

2. If you are reporting a crime that has occurred, and the suspects have gone, call the local non-emergency Police number 101 and ask to be put through to the Initial Crime Reporting Unit or Equivalent Department. If connected to a Contact Centre ensure you state that you wish to ‘REPORT A CRIME’.

3. Give details of the offence you wish to report.

4. Give full informant details - Full name, personal address and contact telephone numbers.

5. Give full location details including postcode.

6. Ensure you can give an accurate timeframe encompassing when the offence took place. THIS IS A MANDATORY REQUIREMENT. This could be within hours, months or even years in some cases e.g. 01/01/10 0700 - 31/12/10 1000.

7. Have details of property damaged or items stolen including identifiable marks e.g. forensic marking, images etc. If you are the owner, it is a good idea to document the work by measuring it, noting the title and name of the sculptor, listing any marks and taking photographs of it from various angles. This will assist the police and others to identify the missing work.

8. Give a clear summary of what has happened. Give events in chronological order.

9. Ask for a crime or police reference number, and ensure you are provided with the contact telephone number and the name of the department who will be investigating.

(I am grateful to Mark Harrison, National Policing and Crime Advisor, Heritage Crime Programme & Alliance to Reduce Crime against Heritage (ARCH), for his advice).

How can I list a sculpture?
Go to Help with Listing for further information.